The Technical Support Engineer contributes to Community Energy Labs by developing innovative software solutions needed to help our customers reach their goals, whether that’s saving money or saving the planet.
WHAT WE DO
Community Energy Labs enables buildings to use energy when clean sources of power are available and to use less energy overall by making smart decisions about when and how energy is used. We primarily work with communities and schools, whose buildings make up nearly 30% of the commercial floor space in the US!
Community Energy Labs, its employees, and its customers are driven to be a part of the solution to saving our planet. Our software combines cutting-edge control algorithms, machine learning, and traditional control techniques to lower costs and manage energy. We combine that with an intuitive user interface that doesn’t require a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering to make saving money and the planet easy for everyone—even cash-strapped schools with overworked building operators.
CEL's core AI-powered clean building control platform concept was a regional winner of CleanTech Open's 2020 international accelerator, an overall winner in the 2020 Madrona Venture Labs Go Vertical challenge, a three time SBIR winner with the Department of Energy, USDA, and NSF. CEL is a community member in Elemental Excelerator, Google for Startups and other prestigious accelerators. Follow CEL on LinkedIn.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
// PRODUCT INTEGRATION & DEPLOYMENT
- Use and improve internal software tools (i.e., dev site, scripts, APIs).
- Investigate customers’ HVAC systems and connect thermostats and related equipment to our control system. This involves discovering and configuring equipment based on incomplete documentation and lack of standardization.
- Configure and set up: new equipment using Linux; basic networks and devices (i.e. meters, gateway, thermostats); telemetry and control system for new sites/
- Configure, monitor, and report results related to new algorithms that control new building types. This work is done in collaboration with the machine learning engineer.
- Work with the development team to report technical issues, solve problems, and improve product functionality.
// ONGOING CUSTOMER SUPPORT
- Monitor existing or new sites to track system performance, report results, and flag issues to the team. Troubleshoot and resolve issues for the customer quickly.
- Join customer meetings to provide insight and address technical and occupant concerns about product implementation.
- Resolve unexpected technical and engineering issues that impact product performance and customer satisfaction, ensuring seamless communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- Remotely achieve on-site issue resolution for equipment, installation, and networking.
- Help onboard new customers, provide technical support for product implementation, and ensure we meet customer expectations.
// COLLABORATION, COMMUNICATION, & DOCUMENTATION
- Communicate and collaborate effectively using our tools, such as Slack, LastPass, GSuite, Miro, Zoom, GoogleMeet, Monday.com, Github, etc.
- Plan and prioritize your work, communicate tradeoffs, and meet deadlines.
- Write and maintain technical and process documentation, tool documentation, and process steps related to product implementation.
// REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in engineering/science or related technical field/industry experience.
- 3+ years of experience working in a professional environment.
// NECESSARY SKILLS/ABILITIES
- Competence in Linux using command-line tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Skill in documenting processes and decisions comprehensively for team reference.
- Methodical expertise in problem-solving, organization, and project management to develop, maintain, and optimize software solutions systematically.
- Familiarity with basic networking principles such as subnets, VLANs, DHCP, etc., and ability to work with pre-existing customer configurations.
- Attention to detail.
// NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Experience as a Controls Engineer or Technician.
- Experience with HVAC and building automation systems such as BACNet or Modbus.
- Familiarity with version control using GitHub.
- On-premise or IoT device setup (thermostats and energy meters ideal but not required).
// EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK AND TRAVEL
This is a fully remote role with some travel responsibilities (for partner and customer prospect visits, conferences, occasional company get-togethers, etc.).
This position is a full-time position that may occasionally require extra hours and weekend work that is not compensated as overtime.
CEL is a small team where versatility is essential and a range of responsibilities and functions are embraced.
// SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
This position initially has no supervisory responsibilities. As an integral part of CEL's product team, you'll operate with a high degree of autonomy while actively collaborating with the product team and senior engineer for direction, support, and mentorship.
The annual salary for this position is expected to be $65k-$90k per year commensurate with experience for 40 hours per week work schedule.
// PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Some travel may be required for conferences or customer support.
No heavy lifting is expected.
// Ideal CEL community members demonstrate:
- High accountability
- Empathy for customers and team
- Ability to task switch and stay focused
- Attention to detail
- Intrinsic drive to achieve results
- Willingness to communicate and teach
- Willingness to listen and learn
- Solid work habits and organization
YES, THAT MEANS YOU!
We’ve read the research and we know that certain underrepresented groups in tech might read our post and think “Oh, gee, well I only have nine out of ten qualifications.” If our mission and this job speak to you and you have the interest and ability to work smart, learn, and grow with us then we want you to apply for this job!
Community Energy Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
To ensure your application is considered, kindly submit it through the CEL website. Applications submitted through other means will not be reviewed.